This is part two of the competition to win a weekend for two to Cape Town, courtesy of Fine Brandy.By Design. The prize includes flights (if the winner does not reside in Cape Town), car rental, accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis and a private brandy tasting and distillery tour. This post focuses on another brandy in the FB.BD family – Klipdrift. It was first distilled before 1938 by a JP ‘Kosie’ Marais in his backyard, drawing from Chenin Blanc and Colombar wines which grew well in the Robertson. The current Klipdrift Brandy Master is Johan Venter and, in the last century, beyond the traditional ‘Klippies & Coke’, primary variants:
- Klipdrift Premium – blended in over 50 year old potstills and an extended maturation period in French oak
- Klipdrift Gold – made up of potstilled brandies that have been aged up to 21 years
In a bid to evolve the perception of the brand, they’ve had a series of ads that captured attention with the line ‘met eish’, which has, to a certain extent, become part of South African colloquialisms.
I also participated in a Klipdrift Instagram Photo Walk some months back (under the hashtag #JoziFTW). We started on Mandela Bridge, going through Newtown and ended in the Small Street and Carlton Centre area.
The Klipdrift Mint Julep Recipe
Paired ideally with the pork belly, the steps to creating a Klipdrift Mint Julep, prepared with the Klipdrift Gold, are:
- Place a small handful of fresh, washed mint leaves into a rock glass
- Add around 20ml (adjust to taste) of sugar syrup (equal parts of sugar and water dissolved over a low heat)
- Lightly muddle the mint leaves and syrup to extract the mint flavours.
- Fill glass with crushed ice.
- Pour 2 shots (50ml) over the ice
- Stir well
- Top with crushed ice
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint
- Serve immediately
To enter, answer the following question in the comments section below:
Which Klipdrift variant is used to make the Mint Julep cocktail?
Please take note of the Terms & Conditions (<- click & scroll to bottom) and remember that, to be entered into the random draw, you have to answer each question in the four different posts.