In September, I wrote a post on how Distell has brought their different brandies under the banner of Fine Brandy.By Design and are working to change how we perceive and consume brandy. As part of that initiative, and to get consumers to explore the brands more, they have been kind enough to provide me with the prize for evolutionary readers. The prize is a FB.BD Cape Town Experience, which consists of a 2 night stay for 2 people for an exclusive distillery and food pairing experience.
I will be doing a series of four posts for the next four weeks on a different brandy cocktail and food pairing. To enter, you need to answer a simple question in the comments section for each post. In other words, only those who have answered the four questions will be entered into the random draw.
Oude Meester was started in 1948 and, at its heart, is driven by the spirit and philosophy of American Benjamin Franklin, whose face graces every bottle of Oude Meester. In a bid to evolve and redefine the brandy in a contemporary world, Oude Meester has introduced the ‘new Master’ to pick up the spirit of the old Master, namely American actor, singer, comedian and ‘Dude Meister’ Jamie Foxx.
The three variants of Oude Meester that are being strongly supported are:
- Oude Meester Demant – launched in 2008, it is double distilled in Savalle pot stills.
- Oude Meester Reserve – aged for 12 years in French oak barrels
- Oude Meester Souverein – double distilled and matured for 18 years.
The first cocktail is the Franklin, which pays homage to Benjamin Franklin, is made with Oude Meester Demant and is best paired with mushroom risotto.
Oude Meester Franklin Recipe
- Fill a high-ball glass with large, fresh cubes of ice
- Pour 1 and a half shots (around 35ml) of Oude Meester Demant over the ice
- Add 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Top with Ginger ale
- Using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, separate a thin strip of lemon peel from the flesh and pith. The object is only to have the yellow peel with as little white pith as possible.
- Twist the peel out over the drink so that the oils are expressed out over the drink. This adds a fresh citrus aroma to the Drink.
- Add the twist to the drink
- Serve immediately
To enter, answer the following question in the comments section below:
What pot stills is Oude Meester Demant double distilled in?
Remember to answer and come back next week to find out what the next brandy cocktail is, how to make it and what to best serve it with. Below please find the terms and conditions for the competition.
COMPETITION T’s & C’s
- The competition is open to all South African residents, with the exception of persons under the age of 18, employees of Distell (“The Promoter”), their immediate families, advertising agencies, associated companies, outlet owners, their employees, their immediate families, as well as participants who have won a prize through a competition run by the Promoter at least three months prior to the announcement of the winner of the Prize.
- Participants stand a chance of winning a weekend for two to Cape Town (“the Prize’). The Prize includes flights (if the winner does not reside in Cape Town), car rental, accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis and a private brandy tasting and distillery tour.
- To enter, participants will be required to respond to the weekly question or task via the required means stated in the related blog post
- The competition commences on the 29th of November, 2012 and closes on the 27th of December, 2012.
- The winner will be determined by random draw and notified via telephone within two weeks.
- Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered,
- Winners will be required to provide their proof of identity to verify that they are above the age of 18 as well as that they have a valid South African driver’s license.
- The prize is not transferable and may not be converted to cash.
- Participants may enter as many times as they wish.
- The prize must be claimed within six months of the competition closing date.
- Failure to comply with these terms and conditions will result in immediate disqualification.
- Judges reserve the right to remove any entry to the competition should suspicious behaviour be identified. Participants indemnify Distell, their advertising agencies, advisors, suppliers and nominated agencies against any claims arising howsoever (including wilful misconduct or negligent act or omission) from their participation in this competition and/or use of the Prize.